The Lab Manager is responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of laboratory operations and personnel performing testing, and the reporting of test results in accordance with the Company’s CLIA quality management systems. The Lab Manager will join a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team responsible for quality assurance, client services, data management and regulatory matters. Candidates must be willing to roll up their sleeves, collaborate, and enjoy helping to grow a ground-breaking mobile clinical laboratory business. Every position is responsible proactively supports efforts that ensure delivery of safe services and promote a safe environment at P23 laboratory.
Duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
The Lab Manager (LM) is the individual responsible for the overall operation and administration of the laboratory, including the employment of personnel who are competent to perform test procedures, record and report test results promptly, accurately, and proficiently, and for assuring compliance with the applicable regulations.
The Laboratory Manager ensures that high quality performance of the laboratory testing is timely and economical in meeting the needs of the patients and providers. Thus, ensuring accurate and precise reporting of patients results in a timely fashion. The Laboratory Manager reports to the Medical Director and COO.
P23 Labs staff is expected to serve and protect patients by adhering to professional standards, all established policies, and procedures, and applicable federal, state, and/or accrediting requirements. Responsibilities listed below should be escalated to department and/or P23 Labs’ Chief Executive Officer.
Including, but not limited to:
- Supervise the organization of recruiting and staffing logistics
- Maintain the CLIA licenses current, renewals and any change in directors, or locations, any addition of waived testing. Ensures that the laboratory meets criteria for CLIA and Joint Commission accreditation standards.
- American Proficiency Testing (API) - supervise this throughout all clinics- across all waived testing.
- Lab instrumentation, purchase, and maintenance oversight
- Maintain all lab policies and procedures for the testing
- Assure all machines are in compliance, maintained and serviced appropriately
- Validates that annual competencies of lab staff and accessioning staff at all locations have been demonstrated and checklist complete
- Supervise lab personnel and conduct routine reviews
- Assists in orientation of new hires and new client contracts specific to laboratory protocols and laboratory quality assurance measures
- Provides feedback to the Medical Director regarding testing, Q/A, Q/C, and other testing methods
- Coordinates with Director of Facilities to ensure proper inventory for laboratory in maintained
- Ensures maintenance of medical, ethical, and legal aspects of laboratory functions
- Assist in coordinating routine trainings with Q/A Director and Training Department
- Responsible for manual audits of temperature logs, daily check list for each room sites, problem species log and training check list
- Work along with CFO to resolve lab billing issues as necessary
- Provide orientation and training to testing personnel and evaluate their performance
- Work closely with the Laboratory Director to ensure high quality diagnostic testing, a safe work environment, and compliance across all aspects of the laboratory
- Develop, write, review, and implement procedures and policies, as approved by Director or Manager
- Be onsite to provide direct supervision when high complexity testing is performed by any qualified personnel
- The skills required to assess and verify the validity of patient test results through the evaluation of quality control sample values prior to reporting patient test results
- Monitor test analyses to ensure acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained
- Ensure that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from performance specifications
- Calibrate instrumentation, validate quality of assay, perform maintenance, alignment procedures and quality assurance assays
- Prepare laboratory for inspections and prepare reports as needed
- Demonstrate technical expertise and perform duties of clinical laboratory technologist, as needed
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately
- Plan, organize and direct all aspects of human resources management to ensure fair and equitable treatment of all employees, compliance with company policies, and manage legal aspects of employee/employer relationships
- Direct the P23 recruitment and retention program to ensure availability of appropriate staffing resources
- Coordinate the general education programs for all staff in conjunction with the Medical Director and Quality Assurance Coordinator to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations
- Assist with benefits administration and ensure documentation for regulatory compliance
- Act as a liaison between leadership executive team and laboratory staff
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of test methodologies and quality control
- Adhere to proper resource allocation and coordination. Ensuring maximum efficiency in the use of personnel; controlling departmental supply expenses. Manage and share daily workload; use time wisely, providing a productive atmosphere
- Ability to work closely with international counterparts to limit workplace issues due to the multicultural nature of our business
- Ability to coach and mentor team members through the process of understanding the needs and safety of laboratory processes
- Adhere to clinical practices and protocol
- Listen and report the pulse employee sentiment and bridge opportunities for employee relationship management
- Demonstrate sound judgment and reasoning when investigating and solving problems employee concerns and report to Human Resources to ensure proper procedures are followed
- Ability to comply with confidentiality of patient and employees’ records
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the clinical laboratory with at least three years supervisory experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including written, verbal, and listening skills
- Familiar with general laboratory equipment
- Familiar with the mechanism for efficient and economical maintenance of reagents and supplies
- Well versed in fundamentals of quality control in the medical laboratory
- Analytical, organizational and customer service skills
- Must demonstrate strong analytical thinking skills
- Ability to select qualified and skilled talent
- Ability to evaluate performance management
- Ability to provide fair and detailed feedback to peers and team to promote superior work performance
- Positive attitude supporting diversity and willing to grow and maintain a culture inclusive and diversified
- Superior time management
- Must demonstrate ability to effectively multitask
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude that promotes teamwork
- Ability to work independently
- Must be able to pass background screening and random drug testing
- Able to follow instructions and protocols precisely and consistently
- Must be able to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Work effectively in fast paced high volume environment
- May be exposed to noise, dirt, dust, fumes, loud noises, and blood borne pathogens
- Emergent situations could extend working hours or require infrequent week-end work
- Inside and sedentary, requires sitting and standing for long periods of time.
- Work is performed in an office environment and at outside locations.
- Occasional stress in dealing with multiple tasks
- Must be able to work under conditions that require sitting, standing, walking, lifting, bending, reaching, pulling, and grasping, talking, hearing, and seeing
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. independently and greater than 40 lbs. with assistance
- Climbing - Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
- Hearing/Speaking - Effective communication with employees, supervisors/managers, and staff.
- Effective communications with patients and visitors, as required.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to accommodate a qualified individual with a disability